Friday, September 26, 2008

Flowering lotus

I find my lotus - in a pot in a heavily sunlit area - flowers about once every 3-4 months. It works in cycles, with it dying down and most of the leaves dying, then the leaves come back and then the flower comes. I use a fertiliser recommended for lotus and always try to keep the water full. Usually there is only one flower at a time, but once I had two.

Here is one lotus blooming. From start to finish it took about 12 days, but the final full open blossom only really lasts a day or two. It's always very nice though :)

4 comments:

Eric Bronson said...

That's beautiful! Do you eat the fruits?

Anonymous said...

No fruits in lotus as far as I know - but lotus root is popular and rather nice. I never tried taking out the root on my ones, but it's an idea...

Eric Bronson said...

Someone told me you can eat the little nuts inside the flower check out this link!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lotus_seed

Anonymous said...

Thanks, I didn't know that, though I have eaten lotus paste sweets (moon cakes) often, and they are nice :)

I will try it out next time.