Sorry for the long hiatus – got a lot on my plate at the moment…
Here’s an update on the organic mint cuttings. The ones I put in the water have failed miserably
there was one leaf valiantly hanging on when I took this photo, but it soon went too. Maybe I should have changed the water? Or used clean water originally? I dunno…
Anyway, for the other ones I planted most of them died, but some survived and are starting to grow :)
This pot is an experiment – it has no drainage (originally used for ‘water cabbage’ or Pistia stratiotes) – so it fills up with water. This is not good for mint in theory, which prefers drained soil, but I have put the pot in a place that does not get most of the rain, and empty it out after rain; I’m wondering whether, when there is enough mint growing, the plants will draw up and use the water – meaning it will not get waterlogged.
There’s a high chance that won’t work, so I moved some to another pot where it also seems to have taken root.
I had a sniff at the leaf the other day and it smells really fresh and nice! I can’t wait to have enough to be able to harvest and put some in my tea in the morning :)