Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Dragonfly

When I was a kid, my brother told me that dragonflies would eat their own tails if they could - I found this really gross and since then have been somewhat repulsed by dragonflies.
Dragonfly in Malaysia

Anyway. I should be happier to see them, as apparently they eat mosquitoes - which is good! They are of the Odonata order, and "the suborder Epiprocta or, in the strict sense, the infraorder Anisoptera" (from Wikipedia).

I still don't find them particularly attractive - most insects are kind of alien and creepy to me - but the intricacy of their design is still quite fascinating.
Dragonfly in Malaysia

In terms of identifying the dragonfly, I don't know what kind it is - but it does look similar to the Yellow Winged Darter, or Sympetrum flaveolum.







6 comments:

Stephanie said...

Hello Julian! it is so nice to know dragonfly eats mosquitoes :-) However, I do find them attractive like butterflies. It is very nice to have them in the garden. Have a great day!

Bangchik and Kakdah said...

I have not seen a single dragonfly in our garden yet so far... lovely photo and very colorful dragonfly!

julian said...

*Stephanie* - I prefer butterflies, though close up they look 'alien' too... have a good day too! :)

*Bangchik and Kakdah* - Interesting, I wonder why you don't get them? We have them quite often - and they nearly always rest on the clothes line for some reason.

Unknown said...

I love dragonflies! I usually have quite a few of them either resting on the clothesline or twigs. That's a nice-looking one!

James David said...

I guess you really took the trouble to specifically identify a drogonfly species - Amazing.

What is great is that the dragonfly larvae also eats mosquito larvae's in the water.

So, the more dragons - the less the nyamuks!!

julian said...

*Kanak Hagjer* - interesting, seems like they like clotheslines! :)

*James Missier* - honestly I'm really not sure if I got the name right...