Sunday, October 18, 2009

Philippine lawn grass seeding

Our lawn leaves much to be desired - initially it was laid down with 'Pearl grass', which was a bad idea; it did not survive well in the sun, and grew too slowly to recover from any setbacks. Eventually, the whole lawn became a vast sea of weeds.

So, we've laid down patches of Philippine lawn grass - it grows quite fast, is hardy, and looks quite OK.
zoysia matrella malaysia

It's done all right, spreading slowly. And now it is seeding
zoysia matrella malaysia
zoysia matrella malaysia
At least I hope it is! I've been wringing my brain trying to work out whether these things are weeds or the good stuff. Initially I was pulling up this whenever it was growing to seed, but I recently remembered this diagram a reader had pointed out to me (picture from Aggie Horticulture)
zoysia matrella
and it seems like it I should be letting it grow. This is the full plant with seeds - the leaves look similar, but it seems to grow straight out of the ground without being part of the stolons.
zoysia matrella malaysia

Can anyone confirm for me? Should I be weeding or nurturing? Laying on a little vermicompost or something? :)

8 comments:

James David said...

never new this is a phillipines lawn grass. Its seemed to be quite a weed-looking in my place.
Hope you like them.

julian said...

James - well I hope it is Philippines grass... otherwise some other weed will start spreading :(

It's considered a weed in some places, as it is pretty invasive. But that quality suits me fine as the Malaysian climate is a bit hot for most lawn grass, unless you devote loads of time and water to keeping it maintained.

Antigonum Cajan said...

Do you mow your grass with gas/oil lawn mowers, or a push mower, or goats, sheep?

Because if you used the first,
there is no point of being organic
at ALL, since the CO2, for an hour
with one of those, is similar to the amount of driving for twenty hours on
one hand.

On the other hand the weeds feed
birds and other creatures. In brief
a garden should be planned/thought
as in relation for flora/fauna
in my certified humble opinion..expressed in my blog.

Good luck in your projects....

julian said...

Well, I think that every little bit helps to be honest. We pay a guy who has one of those strimmer things. Tho I suppose I should consider a hand mower.

The paradox of gardens is that they are always 'unnatural', but I agree with trying to consider local fauna etc. But at the end of the day, I do want my garden to look nice (although in fact it's a real mess :/), and so I don't mind pulling up weeds and such, especially invasive ones.

marie-gael said...

i'm not sure but i have pearl grass & these little fluffy weed looking things pop up as well. so, i'm really not sure. make sure to update witha post when you find out.

Amarpali said...

Hiii....
I appreciate the ideas and this is very nice article and have great information.and Thanks for share
Amrapali tropical gardens.

sprinkler houz said...

Nice blog!
For Automatic Garden Watering System (Drip, Sprinkler, Misting) visit
http://www.sprinklerhouz.com/

Thanks

jade said...

The violets can seem grand next to the tiny flowers of wild strawberries.
best electric lawn mower