Thursday, May 14, 2009

Palm tree flowers with bees

We have two palms at the back of the garden.Ptychosperma palm trees
I'm not sure what type they are, but it is similar to the MacArthur palm (Ptychosperma macarthurii) - the similarties are that it grows in clusters, and has a similar seed thing, but I never remember seeing red seeds on it. I'd say it's definitely some kind of Ptychosperma, but which one I'm not sure...

A few days ago, I noticed that the seed/flower stalks had burst into bloom - I'd never noticed the flowers there before. Maybe it's the recent hot and dry weather.
Ptychosperma palm trees flowering

Closer up, I saw that it was buzzing with bees!
bee collecting pollen on Ptychosperma

bee collecting pollen on Ptychosperma

On this one you can see the pollen that has been collected (a 'pollen sac'?)
bee collecting pollen on Ptychosperma

Based on the picture of the flowers here, it looks like a Ptychosperma elegans - aka 'Alexander Palm', but the seeds are also red. Maybe I just never paid enough attention to the seeds.

In fact, I have taken to pulling off the flower stalk, as my father-in-law suggested - in order to stop lots of little trees growing up. But now I feel kind of guilty, having seen the bees enjoying the flowers so much!
bee collecting pollen on Ptychosperma

It reminded me of one of the paradoxes of gardening - I like to think of myself as using the garden to get closer to nature, using organic means, caring for the environment and all that; but in the end of the day, a garden is such an unnatural environment :/









7 comments:

palmfun said...

very nice, thanks:)

beth said...

Very pretty shots that made me bloom here for a very long time,

carmilevy said...

Greetings. You recently left a comment on the blog, Biological Clock Ticking (http://biologicalclockticking.blogspot.com) operated by Anton. You may have noticed that his blog was hastily taken down earlier today. Here's why:

For quite some time, the author of this blog has been copying the work of others and passing it off as his own. This is known as plagiarism. It is not only immoral. It is also an illegal, criminal act.

When confronted about this, Anton chose the coward's way out. Instead of responding, apologizing or otherwise expressing some sort of remorse, he skulked away and started another blog.

I thought you'd want to know this, and would want to verify your own archives to ensure he hasn't used some of your own work as well. I'd recommend checking out the service at http://www.copyscape.com to ensure your own material has not been stolen in a similar manner.

I invite you to contact me via my blog, Written Inc., if you would like to discuss this further.

Thank you.

julian said...

*palmfun* - you're welcome :)

*beth* - no doubt

*Carmi* - actually I didn't leave a comment there, meaning your comment looks suspiciously like spam :/ but I checked out the service you mention and it looks sort of useful

Unknown said...

In my opinion, it is fine to grow a garden. More so with degradation around us. . We help to green the earth and beautify it and preserve:)

çiçek said...

very nice, thanks:)

Anonymous said...

:P