Friday, October 3, 2008

Snake in the Garden

A real one too, not metaphorical... ;)
Unfortunately for the snake, it's dead :(

I think it's a Common House Snake, aka Common Wolf Snake (which sounds more exciting). The Latin name is Lycodon capucinus. They eat frogs, so I guess that's what is was after in the garden, as we always have a couple of them. It was about 40-50cm long.

The Singapore Snakes Blog has a much more detailed post.

For Americans seeking to identify a snake, the Ohio Public Library Information Network provides a useful guide.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not crazy about snakes in the garden even though I realize they probably serve a purpose in the food chain. Thanks for visiting my blog today. :)

Anonymous said...

No worries :) Can't say I'd want loads of them, but wildlife is always interesting...

Anonymous said...

Out where I live, I have a lot of snakes. I found you through Blotanical. Welcome.~~Dee

Anonymous said...

Oklahoma eh? Are there dangerous snakes there?
Thanks for dropping by :)

Anonymous said...

Greetings,
Nice blog. Found you through at 'Garden Blogs'. That was very brave of you to be able to snap pictures of your visitor…….My garden was just visited by a snake yesterday. Hubby had to call BOMBA (Fire Bridge) to catch the snake, fearing for the safety of our 2 girls, but somehow the snake managed to disappear. The personnel said it is harmless as it is the house snake, but we are still having the snake phobia!!!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks :) As for bravery, the snake was dead so there wasn't much worry there ;)

Agree that if there were live ones I may worry more.